Re: Rant about installer features (Re: Progeny)

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 09:20:10AM +1000, Paul Gear wrote:

> I'm finding this mailing list a little hard to cope with.  Some people
> on it think they know everything about Linux because they've been using
> Debian for 3 years.  I've been using Linux for 10 years, but because i
> didn't use Debian from the beginning, i get treated like a newbie who
> doesn't understand what RAID is and obviously needs to "go back to
> Windows" since i don't think Debian's features are up to scratch and i
> think GUI installers are easier to use.  For crying out loud, the last
> version of Windows that was the main OS on my PC was *Win95*, 9 years ago!

[big snips above]

It isn't just that, Paul.  The people who've been working on
debian-installer for years now are not eager to hear that several
other distributions have better ones, which is what you (and I) have
posted.  It's understandable defensiveness, but it's still
defensiveness.

There are things that limit the automaticity of d-i, like having to
support more hardware platforms than, say, Knoppix -- but why can't
one implement the following pseudo-code:

if (platform == x86){
	use Knoppix hardware detection and X installer
}else{
	use the one from d-i
}
--