Re: can't retrieve large numbers of email

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 06:59:26 +0530, Sridhar M.A. <mas@mylug.org> wrote:

> Sometime back I too had a similar problem. Fetchmail would exit after
> downloading about 30 or 40 messages. Worse, when I reconnected, it would
> start downloading the whole thing again. I know it is a problem with my
> pop provider, but I could not help it.
>
> Later found that running (as suggested) fetchmail -e 20 (or some number)
> would download so many messages, disconnect and reconnect. That can even
> be put in your fetchmailrc.

I had this problem. my procmailrc specified protocol 'auto'. Changing
it to APOP (which was supported) changed fetchmail's behaviour -
instead of TOP n 99999999999'ing each message (wtf?) it RETR'd them.
This stopped the connection going wrong after a large email.

--
Jon Dowland
dowland@gmail.com