Re: Bogus reply-to

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 13:29:41 -0700
Brian Nelson <pyro@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 11:28:11AM -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> > On 2004-08-09, Brian Nelson penned:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, those headers are not specified in the relevant
> > > RFCs and are not in wide use outside of Linux and other highly
> > > technical mailing lists.  Support for MFT and MCT headers is
> > > strictly optional, so many mail client authors/vendors simply
> > > choose not to support them.
> >
> > Yup. I realize this.  I'm just so frustrated.  If I request no cc's
> > in my sig, I get tons of mail telling me that I should use the
> > headers instead.  If I use the headers, I get cc'd.  Actually, I got
> > cc'd even with the request right there in the bloody sig.  (I seem
> > to use british cursewords when frustrated online; don't ask me why.)
> >  And I do
> > understand why this bogus reply-to is not the best solution, but I
> > figure that it might get the message across.  And I guess I figure
> > that folks who know enough to help me with my questions probably use
> > clients that respect the headers and handle the reply-to properly,
> > although I could of course be wrong and yes, it's awfully heavy
> > handed and rather self-serving at the expense of the other list
> > members.
> >
> > I guess the socially responsible thing to do is, what -- just put up
> > with dupes?  I guess it's not such a big deal, but it irritates me
> > all out of proportion to the incidents.
>
> For procmail:
>
> # Duplicate message filtering
>
> #Turns ON or OFF filtering of exact message duplicates.
> DOUBLEMESSAGESFILTER=ON
>
> :0 Wh: msgid.lock
> * DOUBLEMESSAGESFILTER ?? ^^ON^^
> | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
>
> # END Duplicate message filtering

lol... Poor Monique.

I think you've set a record on this list for how many people have posted
the same "non-answer" to your problem.

I guess the good thing is it shouldn't be hard for future googlers to
find a procmail recipe for getting rid of duplicate e-mails.

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #20:
Windows: Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates.