Re: [Rant] The Endless Search for a Mail Client That Doesn't Suck

FWIW...  maybe my demands are just too small, but I've been using
MH mail for...  for.... hmmm...  25 years, now?  maybe?  and
because it's command-line oriented, whenever it does something I
don't like or doesn't do something I want, I write shell scripts to
bludgeon it into submission as necessary, since I can access all
its utilities from a shell script.  occasionally I have to inflict
Perl or even a C program on it.  At one time I wrote my own
encrypted mail system for it in C, before PGP became available...  you
can use procmail to direct incoming Stuff to various folders.

(Just to strike holy fear into the hearts of any sysadmins out
there, I've been known to break security, implement an SUID shell
script to hack the sendmail.cf file to change the system identity
while I send my mail out of some unsuspecting victim's system and then
change it back when it's done, and then embed *that* in my MH
control scripts).  (okay, now go change your pants...)

But I'm not sure about IMAP support...  in the past when I've
wanted something like that I've been able to just mount the MH
mail directory over the network, but there are Issues (to say the
least) with trying to do that across the Internet...  dep't.  I
think you have to *build* MH with POP support, and I'm not sure
(yet) whether it supports IMAP at all (although I notice fetchmail
does, so there's probably a way to map MH folders to IMAP folders...
hmmm...)