[Correction] Re: udev, atapi cdrw drives and cdrecord

Wayne Topa(brittman@capital.net) is reported to have said:
> csj(csj@zapo.net) is reported to have said:
> > On 8. August 2004 at 2:19PM -0400,
> > Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> wrote:

> > > I had a problem using "dev=ATAPI:x,x,x" when I first switched
> > > to the 2.6.x kernel and dropping ide-scsi.  I finally settled
> > > on dev=/dev/hdc.  So I just tried the above to see if something
> > > had changed, since I am now running kernel 2.6.7.
> >
> > The better way to burn a cd's under the new interface is
> >
> > cdrecord dev=ATA:x,x,x
> >
> > where x,x,x is returned by:
> >
> > cdrecord --scanbus dev=ATA
> >
> > I myself am confused over the difference between dev=ATA and
> > dev=ATAPI.  AFAIK dev=ATA:x,x,x gives you DMA, while
> > dev=ATAPI,x,x,x doesn't.  This is with the unstable version of
> > cdrecord.  dev=ATA is probably equivalent to dev=/dev/hdX.
>
> Interesting.
>
> It seems that --scanbus dev=ATA does report the CDRW & CDROM as
> different devices, 1,0,0 and 1,1,0 wheras ATAPI reports them as
> 0,0,0 & 0,1,0.
>
> cdrecord speed=10 dev=ATA:1,0,0 blank=fast
> with -- Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
>
> cdrecord speed=10 dev=/dev/hdc blank=fast
> with -- Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
>
> but both blank the CD while ATAPI:0,0,0 does not.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WWRONG ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I ran some tests, again, and cdrecord speed=10 dev=ATAPI:0,0,0
blank=fast does, in fact, blank the CD.

> This means more testing on my part but thanks for mentioning the
> ATA:x,x,x.  I don't recall reading/hearing about that before.

In addition all of the variations (dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 or dev=ATA:1,0,0,
dev=/dev/hdc) all blank the CD and burn ver 0.4.2-3 will write to the
CD, as long as you burn it with the 'same' dev= in the burnrc as you
blanked the CD with.

Blanking with dev=ATA:1,0,0 and trying to burn with dev=/dev/hdc
failed when I forgot the change the burnrc dev=.  :-(
Now I'm more confused then I was before but at least I have it
working, even if I don't know whats going on.

Wayne
--
Pascal Users:
 To show respect for the 313th anniversary (tomorrow) of the