Re: udev, atapi cdrw drives and cdrecord

csj(csj@zapo.net) is reported to have said:
> On 8. August 2004 at 2:19PM -0400,
> Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net> wrote:

> > > Use
> > >
> > > cdrecord --scanbus dev=ATAPI
> > >
> > > and then burn it with the gotten numbers
> > >
> > > cdrecord dev=ATAPI:x,x,x
> > >
> > I had a problem using "dev=ATAPI:x,x,x" when I first switched
> > to the 2.6.x kernel and dropping ide-scsi.  I finally settled
> > on dev=/dev/hdc.  So I just tried the above to see if something
> > had changed, since I am now running kernel 2.6.7.
>
> The better way to burn a cd's under the new interface is
>
> cdrecord dev=ATA:x,x,x
>
> where x,x,x is returned by:
>
> cdrecord --scanbus dev=ATA
>
> I myself am confused over the difference between dev=ATA and
> dev=ATAPI.  AFAIK dev=ATA:x,x,x gives you DMA, while
> dev=ATAPI,x,x,x doesn't.  This is with the unstable version of
> cdrecord.  dev=ATA is probably equivalent to dev=/dev/hdX.

Interesting.

It seems that --scanbus dev=ATA does report the CDRW & CDROM as
different devices, 1,0,0 and 1,1,0 wheras ATAPI reports them as
0,0,0 & 0,1,0.

cdrecord speed=10 dev=ATA:1,0,0 blank=fast
with -- Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.

cdrecord speed=10 dev=/dev/hdc blank=fast
with -- Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.

but both blank the CD while ATAPI:0,0,0 does not.
This means more testing on my part but thanks for mentioning the
ATA:x,x,x.  I don't recall reading/hearing about that before.

Wayne

--
In English, every word can be verbed.  Would that it were so in our
programming languages.