Need an older version of Perl on Debian for WebCT

We are trying to use WebCT on a Debian server. The present production
server is on a Redhat 7.3 server.  WebCT officially "supports" only
RH.

The problem is that (we are trying out sarge now) the perl version
(5.8.3) cannot open the Berkeley database files of WebCT 3.8.  I
suspect it needs perl 5.005 which is what is installed on the RH
server at the moment.  Is there a way to have both perl 5.8.3 and
5.005 on the same machine?

My experience of CPAN is limited. I am not quite sure whether using
CPAN to install 5.005 in /usr/local will interfere with other perl
stuff on the machine outside webct?

I would appreciate some guidance about this.

Regards
Johann.
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then
      peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of
      mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without
      hypocrisy."     James 3:17