Re: Need an older version of Perl on Debian for WebCT

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 08:21, Johann Spies wrote:
> We are trying to use WebCT on a Debian server. The present production
> server is on a Redhat 7.3 server.  WebCT officially "supports" only
> RH.
>
> The problem is that (we are trying out sarge now) the perl version
> (5.8.3) cannot open the Berkeley database files of WebCT 3.8.  I
> suspect it needs perl 5.005 which is what is installed on the RH
> server at the moment.  Is there a way to have both perl 5.8.3 and
> 5.005 on the same machine?

Not a version issue. This is a matter of having the proper CPAN modules
added to Perl. You can find out what CPAN modules are installed in the
RH 7.3 machine. When you get that list, look ing the Debian archive for
those modules. Other wise, goto CPAN and D/L the module.

Then install a package called "dh-make-perl" and the packages that are
in the debian archive for the modules you found in it already. Then for
the missing ones, use dh-make-perl.

Follow the instructions in the man page for dh-make-perl to compile
these CPAN packages to .deb then dpkg -i them. All done.

> My experience of CPAN is limited. I am not quite sure whether using
> CPAN to install 5.005 in /usr/local will interfere with other perl
> stuff on the machine outside webct?

Yes, it would. I would install the Perl in the same directory as webct.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux