trouble with curses.h

Hi all,
I have debian 3.0 woody on a linux box..........
i am getting the following error while complining a program...........

menkar >> make
cc -c galfit.c
galfit.c:15: curses.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [galfit.o] Error 1

i undersatnd that i need to install ncurses-dev............when i try
using apt-get i get the following error.............

menkar:/home/abhi# apt-get install ncurses-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting libncurses5-dev instead of ncurses-dev
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libncurses5-dev: Depends: libncurses5 (= 5.2.20020112a-7) but 5.4-4 is
to be installed
E: Broken packages

Is this a bug?
i am NOT using an unstable distribution!
am lost.........
help!!
abhishek

ps: please use "reply all" or cc a copy of reply to me..........i am not
on the list!