Re: udev isn't creating links for my cdrom and dvd-rom devices

On 26. July 2004 at 12:21AM -0400,
Kyle Girard <theycallmecoach@rogers.com> wrote:

> > What was the real device name of your cdrom (not the link)
> > before you installed udev?  /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd might be the
> > device you need to put in /etc/fstab.  Another solution would
> > be to have udev create the link /dev/cdrom. Do this by
> > editing /etc/udev/links.conf.
>
> It used to /dev/hdc but those devices aren't listed in /dev
> anymore .... which is probably why udev isn't creating the
> links... it isn't creating the devices.  FYI I do have a
> /dev/hdc in my fstab which I used for mounting the cdrom

Do I read last "used" as "used to use"?

> I looked through /proc and /sys and I believe that all my
> devices are listed in one way or another.... I don't _really_
> know what is going on in those directories...

Do you get something like:

$ ls /sys/bus/ide/devices/
0.0  1.0  1.1

The first appears to be my hard disk.  The two others (1.X) my
optical drives (a cd writer and a dvd writer).  I'm using them
with the "new" ide-cd driver (and not with the old ide-scsi
emulation).

> Any way I can use that links.conf file you mentioned to get
> udev to create links to my cdrom?  It's really just a
> convenience.  Instead of "cd /dev ; ln -s hdc cdrom" you add
> the following to links.conf

L cdrom		hdc

So if the actual devices aren't being created, the solution is
elsewhere.