Re: recommendation for digital camera -=> Shameless Nikon plug

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:48:57AM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> listcomm@ml1.net writes:
>
> > The real benefit to having the Windoze apps (Nikon or not) to support
> > the camera is in being able to load camera (or film scanner) images
> > directly into something like Photoshop without having to go through
> > any JPEG or other compression, so that you can manipulate raw
> > images.
>
> Note, this only matters if you have set the camera to save things as
> RAW format.  If the camera is saving JPEGs, the software can't
> convert them back into RAW... info has already been lost.
>
> Why does RAW matter?  It is uncompressed and has more bits than a
> JPEG (12 bits on my D1x) so you have more range when doing exposure
> adjustments and whatnot.

Some cameras actually compress the raw data BTW. I think Nikon does
that since nef (raw) output takes less space then tiff output.

The advantage of raw is that you get _all_ the data and not processed
data, so you get all the information. You can also reprocess it if a
better algorithm comes out later.

> There's a program called dcraw which will convert many forms of
> camera raw files into standard formats for editing.  But it's not
> quite as good as the Nikon Capture software, because Capture makes it
> very easy to do common things like fix exposure and has cool toys
> like DEE which is basically a magic exposure fixer.  Nothing you
> can't do without capture, but you have to work harder to get there.

There is also a plugin that allows using draw to open the raw files
directly in the gimp. That should rival the Nikon capture software.