Re: Newbie problems galore

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 12:19:03 -0400, David A. Cobb <superbiskit@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>     I purchased a CD set of "Debian 3.0 "Woody" Official" and started to
> install it.
>     First woe: my hardware is by nVidia; the Official kernel on the CD
> is 2.4.18, nVidia provides a driver for 2.4.20/21 and the Debian archive
> has nVidia patches for 2.4.26.  My plan is to go to .26, but in the
> meanwhile I can't use X Windows and I can't access my NIC, so all that
> stuff requires rebooting into Windows.  So, my first question: given the
> kernel images on $MIRROR/Debian/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.26-i386, how do
> I change my kernel?

There are literally tons of guides on this.  Just google it and you
will get all the info you need

>     I need to pass things back-and-forth between Linux and Windoze.  I
> see references to VFAT FS on the web site, but for the life of me, I
> can't find a trace of the software.  It's really bad to have to play
> games with tar at both sides of the route in order not to munge up the
> "magic" pathnames.  PLEASE don't tell me that the evil beast of Redmond
> has buried VFAT under a patent claim!!  If not, please, where can I find it?

I am pretty sure linux can read the default FAT32 and NTFS partitions
without any trouble, but I may be wrong.

>     Right now, I've managed to hork up my package data so dpkg gets hung
> up trying to fix things.  My best bet seems to be to restart from
> scratch.  How do I get dpkg / apt / aptitude to clean my machine
> totally, or what files should I remove to make all this stuff go away?
> Or, would it really be quicker to re-init my partitions and start again
> from the CD?

No! Don't start over, anything can be fixed.  Try these commands in
this order:(As superuser)

apt-get clean
apt-get check
apt-get dist-upgrade

post the results of these commands here.

<snip>

Ryan Waye