Re: Newbie problems galore

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

On 2004-07-15, David A. Cobb penned:

[snip]

I don't have the brain power right now to answer your question about
kernels ... so moving on ...

   I need to pass things back-and-forth between Linux and Windoze.  I
   see references to VFAT FS on the web site, but for the life of me,
   I can't find a trace of the software.  It's really bad to have to
   play games with tar at both sides of the route in order not to
   munge up the "magic" pathnames.  PLEASE don't tell me that the
   evil beast of Redmond has buried VFAT under a patent claim!!  If
   not, please, where can I find it?

Vfat support isn't provided as an application; it's a capability you
need to have enabled in the kernel.  I would think the kernel image you
have would include that support by default.

What are the relevant /etc/fstab lines and 'mount' commands you've tried
to use?

For example, I have this in my /etc/fstab :

/dev/sda1   /cigar      vfat    defaults,user,noauto        0   0

It allows me to mount my usb keychain drive, formatted as vfat, onto my
linux system.  Then I just type

mount /cigar

and I have access to the drive.
Yeah. I swear it didn't work the first time but it does now. I converted a lot of disk space ( backwards ) to FAT32 to create my space. Actually, I'm making my whole "/var" file system shared between the two because I'm planning to do some cross-platform stuff and my installation looks very *nix-y already.

   Right now, I've managed to hork up my package data so dpkg gets
   hung up trying to fix things.  My best bet seems to be to restart
   from scratch.  How do I get dpkg / apt / aptitude to clean my
   machine totally, or what files should I remove to make all this
   stuff go away?   Or, would it really be quicker to re-init my
   partitions and start again from the CD?

Hard to answer without you pasting some example of your horkage.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard