Newbie problems galore

Hi!
I purchased a CD set of "Debian 3.0 "Woody" Official" and started to install it. First woe: my hardware is by nVidia; the Official kernel on the CD is 2.4.18, nVidia provides a driver for 2.4.20/21 and the Debian archive has nVidia patches for 2.4.26. My plan is to go to .26, but in the meanwhile I can't use X Windows and I can't access my NIC, so all that stuff requires rebooting into Windows. So, my first question: given the kernel images on $MIRROR/Debian/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.26-i386, how do I change my kernel?

I need to pass things back-and-forth between Linux and Windoze. I see references to VFAT FS on the web site, but for the life of me, I can't find a trace of the software. It's really bad to have to play games with tar at both sides of the route in order not to munge up the "magic" pathnames. PLEASE don't tell me that the evil beast of Redmond has buried VFAT under a patent claim!! If not, please, where can I find it?

Right now, I've managed to hork up my package data so dpkg gets hung up trying to fix things. My best bet seems to be to restart from scratch. How do I get dpkg / apt / aptitude to clean my machine totally, or what files should I remove to make all this stuff go away? Or, would it really be quicker to re-init my partitions and start again from the CD?

Thanks, all, for your patience. I hope I see some answers before I do something more silly than what I've already done here.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard