Re: Newbie problems galore

On 2004-07-15, David A. Cobb penned:

[snip]

I don't have the brain power right now to answer your question about
kernels ... so moving on ...

>     I need to pass things back-and-forth between Linux and Windoze.  I
>     see references to VFAT FS on the web site, but for the life of me,
>     I can't find a trace of the software.  It's really bad to have to
>     play games with tar at both sides of the route in order not to
>     munge up the "magic" pathnames.  PLEASE don't tell me that the
>     evil beast of Redmond has buried VFAT under a patent claim!!  If
>     not, please, where can I find it?

Vfat support isn't provided as an application; it's a capability you
need to have enabled in the kernel.  I would think the kernel image you
have would include that support by default.

What are the relevant /etc/fstab lines and 'mount' commands you've tried
to use?

For example, I have this in my /etc/fstab :

/dev/sda1   /cigar      vfat    defaults,user,noauto        0   0

It allows me to mount my usb keychain drive, formatted as vfat, onto my
linux system.  Then I just type

mount /cigar

and I have access to the drive.

>     Right now, I've managed to hork up my package data so dpkg gets
>     hung up trying to fix things.  My best bet seems to be to restart
>     from scratch.  How do I get dpkg / apt / aptitude to clean my
>     machine totally, or what files should I remove to make all this
>     stuff go away?   Or, would it really be quicker to re-init my
>     partitions and start again from the CD?

Hard to answer without you pasting some example of your horkage.

--
monique