Re: Newbie problems galore

inline->

Kent West wrote:

David A. Cobb wrote:

First woe: my hardware is by nVidia; the Official kernel on the CD is 2.4.18, nVidia provides a driver for 2.4.20/21 and the Debian archive has nVidia patches for 2.4.26. My plan is to go to .26, but in the meanwhile I can't use X Windows and I can't access my NIC, so all that stuff requires rebooting into Windows.

You might be able to get your network working, in which case you won't need to reboot into Windows.

Run "lspci" to see what type of Ethernet device you have, then run "modprobe" to install the correct driver for it. You might then need to modify /etc/network/interfaces (see "man interfaces" for examples) and restart networking (/etc/init.d/networking stop && /etc/init.d/networking start).

PASTING ALL THE PROBABLY-RELEVANT
00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0068 (rev a3) (prog-if 20)
   Subsystem: Micro-star International Co Ltd: Unknown device 5700
   Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
   Memory at dd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
   Capabilities: [44] #0a [2080]

00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 0066 (rev a1)
   Subsystem: Micro-star International Co Ltd: Unknown device 570c
   Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
   Memory at dd001000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
   I/O ports at d000 [size=8]

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 006a (rev a1)
   Subsystem: Micro-star International Co Ltd: Unknown device 5700
   Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
   I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
   I/O ports at d800 [size=128]
   Memory at dd002000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

01:06.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Vanta [NV6] (rev 15) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
   Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
   Memory at da000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
   Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
   Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]

01:07.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem
   Subsystem: Risq Modular Systems, Inc.: Unknown device 044e
   Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
   I/O ports at c000 [size=8]
   I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
   Capabilities: [f8] Power Management version 2

I can't find anything at debian.org that looks likely -- the "nforce" driver from nVidia is the right one but I can't seem to match my distro. However, I found that "TUN" is generic enough to allow the installation to see the network.

Vidio . . . well, that's another matter, and I'll worry about it later. I'll try to insmod vesa later on.
So, my first question: given the kernel images on $MIRROR/Debian/main/k/kernel-image-2.4.26-i386, how do I change my kernel?

Once you have networking working, just "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.26-i386" (although I suspect you really want the i686 variant instead of i386).

K6, actually.

  I need to pass things back-and-forth between Linux and Windoze.

If your Windows system is on FAT32 (not NTFS), no problem. If it is on NTFS, you'll need to create a "shared" FAT32 partition.

To mount a FAT32 partition, you can do something similar to:

mount /dev/hda1 /home/superbskt/MyWinFiles

(assuming you've created a "MyWinFiles" directory in your home directory, and assuming Windows is on /dev/hda1).

You can modify /etc/fstab to do this for you automatically if you want.

Yeah. I cannot get my NTFS partitions visible at this point. I reconfigured several things, used Partition Magic to convert a big chunk of disk real estate. That, at least, is temporarily satisfactory.

I swear, the first time I tried using VFAT, if failed so I fell back to MSDOS and lost long filenames. Anyway, it works now. I'll think about "why's" after I have a working system.

Right now, I've managed to hork up my package data so dpkg gets hung up trying to fix things. My best bet seems to be to restart from scratch. How do I get dpkg / apt / aptitude to clean my machine totally, or what files should I remove to make all this stuff go away? Or, would it really be quicker to re-init my partitions and start again from the CD?

Without knowing what you mean when you say "hork up", it's hard to say. I will say that it's almost never necessary to wipe/rebuild a Debian box (although sometimes it's easier to do that, depending on circumstances / skill level / etc).

Well, when I get all the "Broken" cleaned up, aptitude asks for disk Binary-2, reads a bunch, then prints "Preconfiguring Modules ..." and that's the last thing that comes out of my machine. I can go out for dinner and come back and the screen's unchanged.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr.

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard