Re: Slow networking/performance

On Thursday 15 July 2004 14:33, Robert S hurled the following on the wire:
> > > Since I moved the PC to work (a K6-2) it has been excruciatingly slow
> > > on the network.  The following actions are slow:
> >
> > It seems to be a name resolution issue to me.
> Many thanks.  Unfortunately I won't be near the machine for a few days to
> test this out.  That looks like a very plausible explanation.  I think that
> HTTP requests aren't as slow as other connections.
>
> I believe that the address of the switch/router is 192.168.0.1.  I'll
> confirm this when I get back to work.  On my home network I've set my DNS
> server as the router in /etc/resolv.conf and it works fine (192.168.2.1).
>
> Any suggests as to how I fix it if it is a DNS problem?  I assume that DNS
> is automatically set up on my router.

I assume your router does DNS for the internet, but you don't have DNS for
your internal hosts. That's why there's a timeout when connecting from an
internal host.
You could try adding your internal host to the hosts file and see if that
makes a difference.

You don't have to be at the box, you can ssh into it and launch tethereal.
See what happens if you do a:
dig google.com
dig -x 192.168.0.1

And other name related stuff

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.