Re: Slow networking/performance

> > Since I moved the PC to work (a K6-2) it has been excruciatingly slow on
> > the network.  The following actions are slow:
> It seems to be a name resolution issue to me. Are you sure that you've
> configured the correct DNS server in resolv.conf  (it says 192.168.0.1).
> Make sure it does dns as well as reverse dns.  What probably happens is
that
> when a remote client connects, it looks up the client's address in dns,
and
> the waiting you see is the dns timeout.
>
> If this is happening, you shouldn't see slowdowns when using http to
connect
> to the machine (since it doesn't doa lookup).
>
> To troubleshoot:
> apt-get install tethereal
> then launch it as root:
> tethereal
>
> You should see the name queries if this is the problem.

Many thanks.  Unfortunately I won't be near the machine for a few days to
test this out.  That looks like a very plausible explanation.  I think that
HTTP requests aren't as slow as other connections.

I believe that the address of the switch/router is 192.168.0.1.  I'll
confirm this when I get back to work.  On my home network I've set my DNS
server as the router in /etc/resolv.conf and it works fine (192.168.2.1).

Any suggests as to how I fix it if it is a DNS problem?  I assume that DNS
is automatically set up on my router.  I think its a D-Link 4-port
ADSL/ethernet router.  Could my Debian box be set up to automatically detect
the DNS server?  The router can act as a DHCP server, but I want my Debian
machine to have a static IP address.

I realise its difficult to give advice when my comments are so vague!