Slow networking/performance

I've just installed deb 3.0-r2 on our office network.  I'm going to use it
as a "headless" server for printing, email, secure shell and web access.
The remainder of the office PCs run Windows.  There's no GUI stuff
installed.  I did the installation at home and moved it to work.  The IP
address range at home was 192.168.2.0-192.168.2.40 and at work its
192.168.0.0-192.168.0.33.  I edited a number of files by hand when I moved
it.  I've got a switch/router acting as a DHCP server and name server.  It's
currently not connected to the internet.

Since I moved the PC to work (a K6-2) it has been excruciatingly slow on the
network.  The following actions are slow:

ssh access using PuTTY on Windows client (long delay between username and
password prompt, OK once logged in)
Browsing of shares on my deb server using samba.
Printing using CUPs
Accessing the IMAP server (I've installed wu-imapd).

I wonder if I've misconfigured my network.  What is the "official" way of
setting up the network?

Any clues?  Could it be something to do with PAM?  All of the slowness seems
to involve logons.

Below the contents of my config files:

robert@debian:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.0.33    debian.localdomain debian

# (added automatically by netbase upgrade)

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

robert@debian:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
#search schmidli.com.au
nameserver 192.168.0.1

robert@debian:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.33
        netmask 255.255.255.0