Re: Slow networking/performance

On Thursday 15 July 2004 12:05, Robert S hurled the following on the wire:
> Since I moved the PC to work (a K6-2) it has been excruciatingly slow on
> the network.  The following actions are slow:
>
> ssh access using PuTTY on Windows client (long delay between username and
> password prompt, OK once logged in)
> Browsing of shares on my deb server using samba.
> Printing using CUPs
> Accessing the IMAP server (I've installed wu-imapd).
>
> I wonder if I've misconfigured my network.  What is the "official" way of
> setting up the network?
>
> Any clues?  Could it be something to do with PAM?  All of the slowness
> seems to involve logons.

It seems to be a name resolution issue to me. Are you sure that you've
configured the correct DNS server in resolv.conf  (it says 192.168.0.1).
Make sure it does dns as well as reverse dns.  What probably happens is that
when a remote client connects, it looks up the client's address in dns, and
the waiting you see is the dns timeout.

If this is happening, you shouldn't see slowdowns when using http to connect
to the machine (since it doesn't doa lookup).

To troubleshoot:
apt-get install tethereal
then launch it as root:
tethereal

You should see the name queries if this is the problem.

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.