Re: How I killed spam without TMDA

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 14:00, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Tuesday 2004-07-13 11:49 am, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > I like your attitude Kirk. I have used many of your snippets/pages to
> > make things more workable in the WWOIT (Wonderful World Of Information
> > Technology)
>
> Thanks, Greg!  I appreciate the feedback.

No probs, you deserve it.

> > I can say this, those .cf directives are portable to Exim(v4.x) as well.
>
> No kidding?  I don't know much about Exim but that surprises me.

Well, pretty close... similar conventions and naming schemes. I'd rather
C'N'P and edit rather than re-type. Mainly because it is close enough.

> > I too have seen a severe drop in my Spam. I am even using RulesDuJour
>
> I've started using RulesDuJour, too.  However, I really mean what I say in
> the comments: by the time email gets to the ClamAV/SpamAssassin phase, the
> vast majority (read: nearly all) of spam and viruses have already been
> filtered.  SpamAssassin has been tagging an average of zero to two spams
> *per day*, and I've not received more than one false negative in a given
> day.

I differ from you in this work, just because I like to see the logging
entries. I did it for Work and myself (testing everything on myself
first of course) I use ClamAV and SpamAssassin in the same loop on
ACL... yes it slows the acceptance/rejection down a bit, but that ain't
all bad.

I do use the RBLs for weighting in SA. As well as RulesDuJour. I reject
malware completely and SPAM from well meaning but harm causing
ANTI-VIRUS responders. I also am working on rules in Maildrop to move
C-R to the "WhenHellFreezes" Folder, mainly trying to capture the
headers and phrases I have been seeing. Rather than Delete them, I just
let them build-up. Then expire them, since I don't subscribe to that
IMAP folder... oh-well.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is