Re: TMDA considered harmful

On 2004-07-13, Paul Johnson penned:

> So, in essence, TMDA's unfortunate creep in popularity is extremely
> harmful because it threatens to very quickly double or triple the
> damage spam causes.

Too bad I haven't found a filter program that comes anywhere close to
approaching the simplicity of tmda.  The rules are *so freaking easy* to
implement.  This is a good thing.

I don't use c/r, but I do use tmda's pending-message mechanism.  Instead
of challenging questionable messages, I "hold" them, which is an option
allowing me to leave them in the queue till I feel like dealing with
them.  I then have a cron job to periodically tell me if there's
anything new in it.  I like this setup and the fact that I can whitelist
an address straight from the queue interface.  Out of all the messages I
receive, only a handful get stuck in my pending queue, anyway -- I have
my filters and whitelists set well enough that the amount of
questionable messages is tiny.

--
monique