Install Difficulties

Hi,
I have been trying to install bf24 on my computer which is currently
multibooted with Win2K and FBSD. It currently has a copy of Sarge
running 2.2.20 on it and I would like to scrap and reload. I think I did
something fairly funky on the original install and apt-get is very
unreliable. I cannot apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.5 or any other
kernel version for that matter. When I try to partition the disk I get
an error complaining about not being able to re-read the partition table
and to reboot but after a reboot nothing is changed. Current partition
schema looks a bit like this:-

/dev/hda   win2k
/dev/hdb   FBSD

I am trying to install Deb on /hdc and /hdd . This may not be a wise
partitioning strategy but I am not yet familiar with the ins and outs of
installations of Debian. I have used and still use FBSD fairly
extensively but the install process bares little resemblance. I would be
most grateful if someone could point me to a HOWTO or offer some advice.
I have googled for this but nothing that directly relates seems to pop
up.

TIA

LukeK
--