Re: Using Linux on a Family PC

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:49:00 -0400
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@pooq.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 10:40:52AM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
> > On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:21:43 +0200
> > "Felix C. Stegerman" <quix@free.fr> wrote:
> > >
> > > I remember WP 5.1. That was fast. I haven't used it for a long
> > > time though, so I can't really remember much of the advanced
> > > functionality. My dad (note that my real dad and stepdad are
> > > different peoply, and my
> > >
> > > real dad does know a lot about computers since he's a sysadmin)
> > > still uses WP 5.1 regularly. Unfortunately he doesn't use Linux,
> > > but his company does use (dare I say this?) SCO UNIX. (which I
> > > believe they bought before SCO was taken over by Caldera though).
> >
> > Well, if old versions aren't a problem... They did release
> > WordPerfect 8.x for Linux a long time ago. I used to have a cd of it
> > around here. Not sure how easy it would be to find for download.
> > Note, however, that it requires some old libraries to work properly.
>
> I had a WordPerfect for Linux CD.  It tried to write on the CD
> dirung installation!  Tech support said you could get around
> this by copying the entire CD to hard disk, and then installing
> from the copy.  But I didn't have an extra 500 megabytes (that was a
> *lot* of disk space in those days.  I was not impressed.

lol... Now that you mention it, I think that was how I ended up getting
it to install properly. It doesn't seem like it was a full 500MB though.
Fortunately it's been a very long time since I've had to worry about WP.
:-)

Jacob

--
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Random .signature #48:
Linux - It is now safe to turn on your computer.