Re: Using Linux on a Family PC

Hi Felix

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:41:01PM +0200, Felix C. Stegerman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you may have noticed, I accidentally hit the 'send' button instead of
> the 'save as draft' button, which lead to an incomplete first email in
> this thread. Here is the complete email.
>
> I've recently acquired a 2nd hand PC I want to use as replacement for
> our (windows 98) family PC.
> That means my mother, stepfather and little sister (5 years old) will
> (have to be able to) use it.
>
> Of course, I want to use Debian as the OS, if I can.

OK. Why not?

> Specifications:
>  CPU: 466MHz Celeron
>  RAM: 2x 64MB DDR PC100
>  NIC: 3Com 10/100
>  Drives:
>   hda: 8.4 GB Seagate
>   hdb: 8.4 GB Seagate
>   fd0: 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive
>
> Internet access: ADSL (416 Kbit/sec up, 2240 Kbit/sec down)
>
> My mother and stepfather will need to use the following types of
> applications:
> - Browser & E-mail (POP3) client
> - Word processor
> - Spreadsheet program?
> - Image manipulation program?
>
> My little sister plays about 3 different Windows games (some have a Mac
> version too I believe) that she'll want to be able to play on the new PC
> too.
> I've thoght of using WINE, but I have no experience with it.
> I've also thought of dual-booting, but would prefer not to use windows
> at all.
>
> My mother and stepfather already use Firefox and Mozilla Mail, so using
> Firefox and Thunderbird as browser and e-mail client won't be a problem.
>
> As for word processing, they're used to MS Word and Corel Wordperfect 8.
> OpenOffice is also installed on the current PC, but as far as I know
> they've never used it.
> I hardly ever use a word processor myself, since I prefer plain text, so
> I don't know what would be good replacements for Word/Wordperfect and
> Excel. I occasionally use Openoffice and Abiword, but my knowledge of
> those applications is limited.
> Any suggestions, with arguments of course, on which apps to use are welcome.
>
> Image manipulation is something my mother would like to do, but has not
> done before, so I'll try to get her to use The GIMP. Any other
> suggestions are welcome.
>
> Another matter is which version of Debian to use.
> I'd say unstable would be the best choice, but if anyone thinks
> otherwise please let me know.
> I don't think additional software will have to be installed regularly,
> so I don't think I'll do much administration on this PC.
> I'll probably have to perform security or otherwise important updates
> sometimes, but that's it.
>
> So my questions are:
> - What version of Debian do I use?

I think testing is good. Practically no bugs and not too outdated.

> - How do I allow my little sister to continue to use her windows games?

That may be difficult. Can't you find some nice linux games for her? There are
many in the packages list.

> - What Word processor(s) and spreadsheet application(s) should I install?

Openoffice can do (almost) everything Word and Excel can, and is not much
difference to use. It can also read .doc and .xls files.
Could be a bit slow on that machine, but mine is not much better, and I use it
too.

> - What desktop manager/environment do I use?

I suggest not to use KDE or Gnome because it would make the machine even slower.
Just an easy to understand window manager and file manager (e. g. icewm and
emelfm).

> - What file-management program(s) should I use?
> - How much administration (updating etc.) should I do?
> - What do I have to think of regarding security?

Don't run any daemons except those you really need. Setup mail program so that
it doesn't open attachments by default. Setup basic firewall rules.

> - What do I set-up regarding permissions and limiting their options for
> breaking anything, like deleting their important files, etc.?

If they didn't break up windoze, it's unlikely. The standard settings are quite
ok: Normal users can't change system-wide settings, and they can't change files
in any other's home directory. It is never wrong to make backups though.

> - How do I make everyting as user-friendly as possible/nessecary?

Should be already. Perhaps make menus with their favourite applications. See man
update-menus .

> - Do you have any additional tips?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>

> Felix

HTH
--
Joachim Fahnenmüller

# Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
# your ~/.signature to help me spread!