Re: Using Linux on a Family PC

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 10:40:52AM -0500, Jacob S. wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:21:43 +0200
> "Felix C. Stegerman" <quix@free.fr> wrote:
> >
> > I remember WP 5.1. That was fast. I haven't used it for a long time
> > though, so I can't really remember much of the advanced functionality.
> > My dad (note that my real dad and stepdad are different peoply, and my
> >
> > real dad does know a lot about computers since he's a sysadmin) still
> > uses WP 5.1 regularly. Unfortunately he doesn't use Linux, but his
> > company does use (dare I say this?) SCO UNIX. (which I believe they
> > bought before SCO was taken over by Caldera though).
>
> Well, if old versions aren't a problem... They did release WordPerfect
> 8.x for Linux a long time ago. I used to have a cd of it around here.
> Not sure how easy it would be to find for download. Note, however, that
> it requires some old libraries to work properly.

I had a WordPerfect for Linux CD.  It tried to write on the CD
dirung installation!  Tech support said you could get around
this by copying the entire CD to hard disk, and then installing
from the copy.  But I didn't have an extra 500 megabytes (that was a *lot* of
disk space in those days.  I was not impressed.

-- hendrik