installing Debian and installing programs

I bought a distro from someone who sells a lot of Debian and when the install
failed, they even sent me a second set in case the first one was no good. The
installs went good up to the 2nd and 3rd disc's respectively, but wouldn't
install all the way. I know I don't understand all of the technical jargon in
the install, so maybe I did something wrong. I tried the install directions
on Debian.org, but that didn't help either, too cornfuzin! Is there anyone
that can tell me how to install, using plain english, step-by-step? Also,
when I do get it installed, I want to be able to use the command line to
download from tucows or others and install programs on my Linux computer, can
you provide step-by-step instructions for that also? I really want to learn
Linux, but the books I have bought are not for new people, they are for
someone who understands all of the tech jargon. Thanks, Jim
knot_here_either@hotmail.com