Re: installing Debian and installing programs

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 08:28, Jim Knott wrote:
> I bought a distro from someone who sells a lot of Debian and when the install
> failed, they even sent me a second set in case the first one was no good. The
> installs went good up to the 2nd and 3rd disc's respectively, but wouldn't
> install all the way. I know I don't understand all of the technical jargon in
> the install, so maybe I did something wrong. I tried the install directions
> on Debian.org, but that didn't help either, too cornfuzin! Is there anyone
> that can tell me how to install, using plain english, step-by-step? Also,
> when I do get it installed, I want to be able to use the command line to
> download from tucows or others and install programs on my Linux computer, can
> you provide step-by-step instructions for that also? I really want to learn
> Linux, but the books I have bought are not for new people, they are for
> someone who understands all of the tech jargon. Thanks, Jim
> knot_here_either@hotmail.com

Hi Jim,

Are you using the new "debian-installer" program (which installs the
"testing" version called Sarge, or the "unstable" version called Sid)?

Or are you installing the (rather old) stable version of Debian called
"Woody" (aka Debian 3.0)?

[I presume you've noticed the Toy Story naming scheme :-]

If you are only trying to install Debian for "learning" and home use,
then using the new (and much nicer) "debian-installer" program is a
better choice than the old installer that comes with the Woody (3.0)
distribution. It's still officially in "beta", but it works great.

I have tried debian several times over the years, and only when the new
installer arrived did I ever manage to get it properly installed.

You will find info on the new debian-installer here:

If you don't have a good network connection, then a reseller should
still be able to provide CDs with a recent "Sarge" snapshot, even though
it's not yet an official release.

Of course if you're intending to set up a production-quality server, you
should stick with the official and stable version 3.0.

Regards,

Simon