Re: installing Debian and installing programs

Jim Knott wrote:

I bought a distro from someone who sells a lot of Debian and when the install failed, they even sent me a second set in case the first one was no good. The installs went good up to the 2nd and 3rd disc's respectively, but wouldn't install all the way.

Without knowing if this distro is an official snapshot of Debian or not, we can't begin to guess what problems the CDs might or might not have.

Most people can get going with just the first CD; the fact that you're having to use the 2nd and 3rd indicates either that you're installing stuff that most folks don't first time around, or that the CDs are customized to such an extent that we're not going to be able to know what's wrong.

Also, when I do get it installed, I want to be able to use the command line to download from tucows or others and install programs on my Linux computer, can you provide step-by-step instructions for that also?
This question indicates that you have network connectivity (hopefully broadband). In that case, I'd suggest you either use the new Testing installer available from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ (you can grab 110MB version, presumably for i386, and burn it to CD as an image, not as data), boot from it, and install from it. At one point it'll ask if you want to install from ftp (or http, etc), and you can setup your system to pull from the internet at that point.

After the install is finished, you can install other software from the command line. However, you probably want to wait on installing from Tucows; most of what you'll want will be available in the Debian repository, and these packages in the Debian repository are designed to work in Debian; the software from Tucows will not be designed to work in Debian, and will require extra effort to get working. Later, after you've gotten comfortable in Debian, you can start pulling in non-Debian software.

As far as "step-by-step" instructions go, that's a very broad question. You'll have to be more specific as to what you're trying to install, what your system specs are (do you have plenty of drive space, do you have broadband, etc). However, a general answer to your question is to simply run "aptitude"; this is a menu-based console app that will allow you to pick-and-choose various software packages for installation/removal.

Just a tip: when installing originally, install the least amount of stuff necessary to finish the installation. This will result in a command line prompt after the installation finishes, but is a good place to be, because it provides you with a working, minimal system. Once you're there, you can add what you need piecemeal. Let us know when you're at that point, and what you want to install at that point, and we should be able to get you up and going.

--
Kent