automounting

I want to be able to have my floppy and cdrom automount. I have enabled automount support in the kernel and have installed autofs. I have looked at and tried to follow the information in the autofs man page, the automount minihowto, http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/automount.html
the quick autofs tutorial, www.linuxhq.com/lg/issue24//nielsen.html
and Poul's linux guide--automounter setup, www.poulpetersen.dk/linux/ukautofs.htm. However, although I apparently have a running autofs and a valid /etc/auto.master, /etc/auto.floppy and /etc/auto.cdrom, and directories /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/floppy, I still don't have automount. Where else should i look? What else should I try? what else might I be leaving out?
thanks.

--
Cheryl