Re: automounting

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> I want to be able to have my floppy and cdrom automount. I have enabled
> automount support in the kernel and have installed autofs. I have looked
> at and tried to follow the information in the autofs man page, the
> automount minihowto, http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/automount.html
> the quick autofs tutorial, www.linuxhq.com/lg/issue24//nielsen.html
> and Poul's linux guide--automounter setup,
> www.poulpetersen.dk/linux/ukautofs.htm.

you missed one :-)
	http://www.Linux-Consulting.com/AutoFS/autofs.html

> However, although I apparently have a running autofs and a valid
> /etc/auto.master, /etc/auto.floppy and /etc/auto.cdrom, and directories
> /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/floppy, I still don't have automount. Where else
> should i look? What else should I try? what else might I be leaving out?

are you logged in as "cheryl" or as root ??

- for testing, try logging in as root and see if the automounter works

if it works, you need to add yourself to the root group
or add some autmount options in /etc/fstab for automounting
	--
	-- you are probablu missing the suid bit in auto.fd
	--

- what is the error messages in  /var/log/messages ?
	grep auto /var/log/messages

#
# untested config -- play wth the various options
#
in /etc/fstab  ( use kudzu if it was redhat instead of automount=10 )
	/dev/fd0     /mnt/floppy  auto   noauto,owner,automount=10 0 0
	/dev/cdrom   /mnt/cdrom  iso9660 noauto,ro,automount=10    0 0

in /etc/auto.master
	/.autofs/fd	/etc/auto.fd --timeout 30
	/.autofs/cd	/etc/auto.cd --timeout 30

in /etc/auto.fd
	floppy  -fstype=auto,suid,rw   :/dev/fd0

in /etc/auto.cd
	cd     -fstype=iso9660,ro                 :/dev/cdrom
	# cd   -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev    :/dev/cdrom

c ya
alvin