root system type unknown in /etc/mtab

My system seems to be functioning fine; I recently changed it to ext3. When I look at dmesg my root system (/dev/hda3) is indicated as mounted and an ext3 filesystem with internal journal. However, when I run "mount", while my other partitions are indicated as ext3, my root partition is listed as "unknown" for type. What would the reason for this be and is there a problem?
thanks.

--
Cheryl