Re: automounting

Cheryl Homiak wrote:

I want to be able to have my floppy and cdrom automount. I have enabled automount support in the kernel and have installed autofs. I have looked at and tried to follow the information in the autofs man page, the automount minihowto, http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/automount.html
the quick autofs tutorial, www.linuxhq.com/lg/issue24//nielsen.html
and Poul's linux guide--automounter setup, www.poulpetersen.dk/linux/ukautofs.htm. However, although I apparently have a running autofs and a valid /etc/auto.master, /etc/auto.floppy and /etc/auto.cdrom, and directories /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/floppy, I still don't have automount. Where else should i look? What else should I try? what else might I be leaving out?
thanks.

The standard location in Debian is /var/autofs/misc/

By changing /etc/auto.misc thus:
cd    -fstype=iso9660,ro,sync,nodev,nosuid   :/dev/hdc
floppy      -fstype=auto,sync,nodev,nosuid      :/dev/fd0
you would have them appearing
at
var/autofs/misc/cd
var/autofs/misc/floppy

Note your CD might not be /dev/hdc.

You can also do other magic with autofs:
ppc1 -fstype=iso9660,ro,nodev,nosuid,noexec,loop :/var/ftp/pub/linux/debian-cd/debian-30r1-powerpc-binary-1.iso

On this system, /var/ftp/pub/linux is an NFS mount. I think it doesn't work on 2.2 kernels.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait