Re: Six GMail Invites, First come, First Served!

Ricky Clarkson wrote:
> Thread is a pretty unintuitive term, conversation is more natural - I
> won't have to explain to my parents what conversation means, with any
> luck :)

    Conversation is unintuative because we're not having one.  Conversations
are generally verbal affairs.  ;)  I might have gone with discussion, maybe.
Doubt it, though.

>>    Only if you like it their way.  "They can have any color they want as long
>>as it's black." -- Henry Ford

> Ford changed over time, so can GMail.  Tell them what you want.

    I shouldn't have to.  20+ years of email working in a servicable matter.
They should match that first and then expand upon it.

> I mark old mail as Read.  Works for me.

    Added step which really should not be needed.  Now I need to archive mail
and then mark mail which has never been read as read.

>>1: Archive instead of delete.

> This works until we start running out of space.  By which point, they
> might extend the limits or alter the interface to support deleting
> really old stuff etc.

    Except for the whole un/read problem and the fact that for any real use
its not going to last all that long.

>>2: Labels show old *AND* new mail.  I cannot get just a display of "new mail
>>in Debian".

> True, but it does highlight new mail pretty well.

    I disagree.  It marks threads with new messages in an acceptable manner.
That is a far cry different than marking new mail.

>>    With no idea really of whom has written the new messages nor any means of
>>displaying it except one way.

> If you want other ways, ask for them.

    See above.  Besides, I have a feeling it would break the concept they're
going for.  See, you, and others, are laboring under the notion that I am
concerned with what they plan on doing.  I'm not.  I'm looking at this as "is
this viable RIGHT NOW compared to other offerings in general as well as when
they were at a similar level."  It isn't.

> A better place to send this stuff might be
> http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/request.py

    Neat, Python!