Gnome fonts and themes

I am using Debian testing/unstable, and running Gnome 2.6 I use Windowmaker as my window manager. The problem is whenever I start a gnome app, such as gnome-terminal or galeon, the font will appear awfully small.

The fonts will become okay when I start gnome-font-properties. I did not even change a single thing: just start gnome-font-properties, and the font size in gnome-terminal will increase automagically. Can anyone be kind enough to explain what is happening, and how can I set gnome apps to use the larger font by default?

Whenever a GTK related app starts up, there will be lots of warnings such as these:

(gnome-font-properties:20089): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "qtpixmap",
(gnome-font-properties:20089): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "redmond95",

I have checked that the latest versions of gtk-engines-qtpixmap, gtk2-engines-qtpixmap, gtk-engines-redmond95 and gtk2-engines-redmond95 are installed.

How can I solve these problems?

Thank you in advance.

Lee Hanxue