From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Jules Dubois
Sent: Wednesday, 23 June 2004 7:20 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: moving to the 2.6 kernel?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:37:14 +1200, Simon Kitching wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 18:01, Jules Dubois wrote:
>>
>> I installed kernel-image-2.6.6-2-k7.  I get lots of error during
boot;
>> they go by quickly, I don't seem to be able to stop them, and they're
>> not recorded in any log file.  If I interpret the situation
correctly,
>> every attempt to load a module fails with a "/lib/modules: read-only
>> filesystem" error.

I neglected to post one minor detail.  The system doesn't survive the
boot
process.  I've lost the error message, but it says something like
"error:
trying to kill init".

My hand-crafted [sic] 2.6.7 kernel is almost completely functional; it's
just that I couldn't figure out how to boot and/or configure the Debian
kernel-image package.

> Have you tried using "dmesg"?

Is that the same thing as `less /var/log/dmesg`?

> See "man dmesg" for more info.

Thanks, Simon.