Re: starting error with thunderbird 0.7 on woody-system

Bluejack wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:55:26 +0200, Palfalvi Richard <richard.palfalvi@chello.at> wrote:

I installed this library without problems but after trying to start again thunderbird I got another error message: "./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I tried to find "libstdc++.so.5" with aptitude to install it but I couldn't find it !?? How can I find this module in the package list?

A package will often contain more than one file, so what you want
to do to find the package that contains the file you need is to
use google to search the debian web site. With the google search
'site:packages.debian.org libstdc' I quickly found:

thanks a lot for these hints! Now I understand much more better how to find special modules/packages in Debian! And I think I have to update my know-how how to work with search-engines in general....

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/libstdc++5

So: apt-get install libstdc++5

Note, however, that this package is in the 'unstable' distribution,
so you may need to configure apt-get to access that distribution.
See: http://www.sdn.or.id/share/Debian-Doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch-woody.en.html

well, I had a look at it and tried even to install it but it didn't work within the stable release. I read the the part of the manual but I do not want to update the whole distribution because I still need/like to have a stable server. (I just wanted to have thunderbird and firefox on my server-box because they are smaller and faster programs compared to the whole mozilla-1.7-tool and my server is a 486er-AMDK2-box)

But thanks anyway for the hint and the docu-link!

Most important: if you had used apt-get to obtain your Thunderbird
application, it would also have obtained everything Thunderbird
depends on. That's the advantage of using a package installer.

this is what I usually do but thunderbird and firefox are not in the woody-distri so I cannot get them with apt-get install.

ys, Richard

-bluejack