Re: starting error with thunderbird 0.7 on woody-system

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:55:26 +0200, Palfalvi Richard <richard.palfalvi@chello.at> wrote:

I installed this library without problems but after trying to start again thunderbird I got another error message: "./firefox-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I tried to find "libstdc++.so.5" with aptitude to install it but I couldn't find it !?? How can I find this module in the package list?

A package will often contain more than one file, so what you want
to do to find the package that contains the file you need is to
use google to search the debian web site. With the google search
'site:packages.debian.org libstdc' I quickly found:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/libstdc++5

So: apt-get install libstdc++5

Note, however, that this package is in the 'unstable' distribution,
so you may need to configure apt-get to access that distribution.
See: http://www.sdn.or.id/share/Debian-Doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch-woody.en.html

Most important: if you had used apt-get to obtain your Thunderbird
application, it would also have obtained everything Thunderbird
depends on. That's the advantage of using a package installer.

-bluejack