apt-get update lists

I have just started to use Debian - some would say I still haven't
started because I'm using Knoppix 3.4 installed on my HD.  <sigh>

The distro works very well, but there are one or two things I want to do
and/or install that Knoppix doesn't cover, though Debian packages
certainly can.

First things first :-)
Is there a list of packages sorted by Section, rather than by Package,
without logging onto packages.debian.org/stable/ ?

Similarly, apt-get update produced 110 files occupying 42.4MB.  Is there
some kind of overarching index somewhere that would help me find the
sorts of packages I want, wherever they might be listed?  Grepping for
a particuar file name would work I guess, but what if you are looking
for a tool (eg HTML editor) and don't have a name to look for?

I hope it makes sense that I would far prefer to take all the time I
need examining an organised listing on my own system, rather than
extensively use the resources of debian.org.

Secondly, is the explanation for this listing
in /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.de.debian.org_pub_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-i386_Packages

Package: abiword
Task: desktop

that if I install "abiword" it will provide a script which will go-fetch
all the bits of abiword it needs to function?
                               *******************
Thirdly, does this:

Package: amaya
Depends: lesstif1, libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), xlibs (>> 4.1.0)

mean I must check my system to ensure these dependencies exist and
correct if necessary before I download/install "amaya"?

Finally, where could I find the answers to such questions without
bothering this list?

Thanks in advance  :-)

--
Regards,