Re: apt-get update lists

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 09:03:47PM -0400, Brian Astill wrote:
> I have just started to use Debian - some would say I still haven't
> started because I'm using Knoppix 3.4 installed on my HD.  <sigh>
> Is there a list of packages sorted by Section, rather than by Package,
> without logging onto packages.debian.org/stable/ ?

I would recommend start using aptitude or dselect.

> Similarly, apt-get update produced 110 files occupying 42.4MB.

That is small :)  I guess they must be security update to the stable.

> Is there
> some kind of overarching index somewhere that would help me find the
> sorts of packages I want, wherever they might be listed?  Grepping for
> a particuar file name would work I guess, but what if you are looking
> for a tool (eg HTML editor) and don't have a name to look for?

aptitude and dselect after properly setting /etc/apt/sources.list

> Secondly, is the explanation for this listing
> Package: abiword
> that if I install "abiword" it will provide a script which will go-fetch
> all the bits of abiword it needs to function?

If you normally install abiword, YES.

> Thirdly, does this:
> Package: amaya
> Depends: lesstif1, libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), xlibs (>> 4.1.0)
>
> mean I must check my system to ensure these dependencies exist and
> correct if necessary before I download/install "amaya"?

All these are automatically covered if you use aptitude or dselect.
apt-get does good job of Depends: but not do much for Recommends:.

> Finally, where could I find the answers to such questions without
> bothering this list?

Start reading document listed in http://www.debian.org/doc

Of course I recommend

Debian Reference

     This Debian GNU/Linux reference covers many aspects of system
     administration through shell-command examples. Basic tutorials, tips,
     and other information are provided for topics including system
     installation, Debian package management, the Linux kernel under Debian,
     system tuning, building a gateway, text editors, CVS, programming, and
     GnuPG.

http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference

        Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org>  Brussels Belgium, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://qref.sf.net and http://people.debian.org/~osamu
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract