Re: apt-get update lists

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:03:47 -0400, Brian Astill wrote:

> Is there a list of packages sorted by Section, rather than by Package,
> without logging onto packages.debian.org/stable/ ?

Try running Synaptic (GTK) or Aptitude (console) and you can choose a
categorized view.

> Is there some kind of overarching index somewhere that would help me find the
> sorts of packages I want, wherever they might be listed?

Debian.org is the true source of wisdom.  However, Synaptic can search
through package descriptions, and it and Aptitude provide categorized
listings.

> Package: abiword
> that if I install "abiword" it will provide a script which will go-fetch
> all the bits of abiword it needs to function?

If you install the "dummy" package -- a dummy package mentions the
dependencies necessary to install and use the application -- APT's tools
will fetch and install the dependencies for you.

It's not exactly a script but it does what you want.

> Package: amaya
> Depends: lesstif1, libc6 (>= 2.2.3-7), xlibs (>> 4.1.0)
>
> mean I must check my system to ensure these dependencies exist and
> correct if necessary before I download/install "amaya"?

No, not if you use apt-get, aptitude, or synaptic.  If you instead
download the packages yourself and use dpkg, you have to manage it
yourself.

> Finally, where could I find the answers to such questions without
> bothering this list?

I don't have the URL handy, but debian.org has an APT user's guide.