Re: apt-get update lists

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 09:03:47PM -0400, Brian Astill wrote:
> I have just started to use Debian - some would say I still haven't
> started because I'm using Knoppix 3.4 installed on my HD.  <sigh>

[snip]

> Is there a list of packages sorted by Section, rather than by Package,
> without logging onto packages.debian.org/stable/ ?

Why Stable?  Knoppix is (partly) based on Unstable -- you might find it
difficult to install packages from Stable because it would involve lots of
really obsolete libraries and other packages.

> I hope it makes sense that I would far prefer to take all the time I
> need examining an organised listing on my own system, rather than
> extensively use the resources of debian.org.

No, not really.  Why use Apt, but then refuse to use its features?

[snip]

> that if I install "abiword" it will provide a script which will go-fetch
> all the bits of abiword it needs to function?

My understanding is that dummy packages contain dependencies that install
the real bits.

[snip]

> mean I must check my system to ensure these dependencies exist and
> correct if necessary before I download/install "amaya"?

No, not if you use apt-get or aptitude or synaptic or gnome-apt or any other
apt-aware tool, which will do that for you.

> Finally, where could I find the answers to such questions without
> bothering this list?

The Debian FAQ, section 7?
<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.en.html>
--