Re: Pros/Cons Kde vs Gnome?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:22:43AM -0400, Daniel B. wrote:
> Micha Feigin wrote:

> >and they do require more cpu, eye candy takes cpu power to draw (either
> >real cpu or graphic card cpu, either way, battery power).
>
> What fraction of CPUs these days can switch to low-power mode when
> idling and what fraction use the same amount of power regardless of
> whether they're idling or executing instructions?

at least the laptop specific cpus switch to low power state when idling
(you can look at the acpi C states if you want, do cat
/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power)

Laptop cpus also allow for frequency/voltage scaling through the kernel
(check cpufreq) although to do it depending on load is currently done
through daemons, I don't think its possible to do it through policy at
the moment, at least for most cpus (isn't implemented yet under linux).

About graphic chips. If you read the specs for newer laptop graphic
chips you will see that a lot of them now support automatic power
states depending on usage.

Also if you check the cpu temperature you will see it gets hotter on
heavy usage, power scaling or not, which requires more cooling, and BTW
graphic chips these days require quite a bit of cooling (even in
laptops).