Re: Problem with kernel boot with version 2.4.25 or later

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 01:39:54PM -0800, Scott A. Henderson wrote:
> I have have a problem with booting the kernel 2.4.25 and later on recent
> hardware I purchased
>
> The initial installation is a basic bf24 install no options were
> selected, I just followed the menus through the system.  I do have ext3 fs.
>
> My application requires me to compile device drivers so I need to
> recompile the kernel.  I recompiled the kernel with 2.4.18 kernel-source
> package install the package rebooted and all was well.  I then updated
> to 2.4.25 kernel-source and compiled the deb package and installed with
> the following.
>
> The system will not reboot, it seems to get confused at the step where
> the ide is detected and the fs type is determined.  I get a number of
> messages about Rieser fs at this point that don't make any sense at
> all.  I have an ext3 fs no reiser.
>
> The kernel configuration that I am using is /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4
> copied to the source directory as .config.
>
> So at this point I can boot 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 compiled kernels but
> nothing later than this in the 2.4.x code.

I have one PC that also won't boot 2.4.25 or 2.4.26 kernels. For me
the boot hangs on mounting the root filesystem, which happens to be
ext3. I also tried installing 2.6.5 and 2.6.6; same problem.

My solution was to recompile the kernel with ide and ext3 support
compiled in and to remove support for initrd. No problem booting after
that.

--
Jerome