Re: Solved with a modeline: Re: NEC2080UX+ - "Supported Future Video Modes"

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:47:30PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
>   I wonder why would edid info (that comes directly from monitor, as
> far as I can tell) result in worse settings then what X does based on
> vert/horiz frequencies.

I don't know.  It's an 18" flat panel monitor who's "natural resolution"
is 1280x1024@60 -- if you run at other sizes, the pixels look funny
because they are fixed size, and I don't know what happens when you run
at other frequencies but they are similarly "synthetic."  One observes
this as "tearing" of full-motion video, and DirectX always runs at 60
anyway.

In Windows, the "Modes this monitor can support" are 60 and 70, and you
can uncheck "Hide modes this monitor can't support" and run at 85.

Maybe the EDID lists frequencies it *can* support, and this is the first
time that "the highest possible" frequency is not the best one -- in
fact the "lowest" supported frequency is best.