Re: NEC2080UX+ - "Supported Future Video Modes"

hi ya zen
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 10:51, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > experiment time
>
> OKidoki.

o key dough key ?

> > start at 102x768
>
> I decided to give 102 a miss and go straight for 1024 :)

good idea

> > than try 1280x1024
> > than try 1600x1200
> >
> > use only one resolution so you know the screen size is supposed to be
> > as you defined
> > 	xdpyinfo | grep dimension
>
> All the following tests are with Xinerama, so xdpyinfo returned twice a
> single screens width for each test resp..

umm ....

use one monitor... see what the maximum resolutions it'd support
	- use one resolution at a time
	1024x768, than try 1280x1024, than try 1600x1200 etc

than try the other monitor by itself, and see what it supports
for maximum by itself

-- the same stanza probably cannot be used for both monitors
  since they both have different video bios and different horisync and
  vertrefresh

> 1280x1024 works for both screens.

bingo ... if you want both sceens to be teh same size fonts, etc...
thats what you're stuck with

##
## make sure that the kernel DRI drivers are set for both svga controllers
##

> 1600x1200 internal works, external not - but not shimmering, but looks
> like it's trying to render 1600 pixels at only 1280, and doing a
> particularly bad job of antialiasing or something: so it's almost
> impossible to read.

if 1600x1200 only works on one but not the other, get a better monitor ??
	- if its a external monitor, it's easy to upgrade

	- if its the laptop lcd doesn't go fast enuff... it's a problem,
	but luckily, that is not the case here

> Perhaps XF86 is somehow trying to display 1600 at higher-than-60Hz ??
> The LCD can only display 1600x1200 at 60Hz according to the manual,
> which is also its native and "optimal" resolution.

which is good..

> > 	- check the dpms too
>
> How do I check this?

comment it out is all i as thinking ..

> > wrong setting for old fashion crt tube might let out the nice blue
> > perfume, after which, it wont work anymore
>
> Good to know.

nite-nite time 4 me
alvin