Re: USB keyboards and linux 2.6

On 8. June 2004 at 6:18PM -0400,
Carl Fink <carl@fink.to> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 05:25:22AM +0800, csj wrote:
>
> > ... It seems I have all the necessary kernel bits in place.
> > But rebooting with the USB keyboard attached causes my
> > computer to hang (with or without my normal keyboard
> > attached) ...
>
> USB being hot-pluggable: what if you boot without the keyboard
> (using a PS/2 style connector instead), and then plug the
> keyboard in after boot time?
>
> Use this command: "sudo tail -f /var/log/messages" first, and
> you can watch the USB system identify the new device as it's
> detected.

Not necessary: I see the device identified by the console
messages correcty as a "USB keyboard".  But banging at the USB
keyboard adds nothing to the screen ouput (not even garbage
characters).  The PS/2 keyboard is okay.  So is my USB mouse
(under X).

I have the "hotplug" package installed (in in its default setup).
Could this be a problem?  I'm thinking maybe I'm having a module
tuner card under linux 2.6).  So I'm looking to clone the
/etc/modules or /etc/hotplug* of someone with a successful linux
2.6 + USB keyboard setup.