Simultaneous mounting dvd & cdrw conflict

I'm confused about mounting dvd & cdrw drives.
I wish to (permanently ?) mount both so that I can play dvd's and also burn audio from CD's in drive dvd.
However, it seems I can't mount both at the same time.

'dmesg' gives me

hdc: ATAPI DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
hdd: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, DMA
hdd: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: drive_cmd: error=0x04Aborted Command

However,

Tux:~# mount -t iso9660 /dev/dvd /mnt/dvd
mount: /dev/dvd is not a block device
Tux:~# mount -t udf /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only

Tux:~# mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrw
mount: block device /dev/hdd is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdd,
       or too many mounted file systems

My /etc/fstab includes

/dev/fd0 /floppy auto defaults,user,noauto 0 0 /dev/hdd /cdrw iso9660 defaults,rw,user,noauto 0 0 /dev/hdc /dvd udf defaults,ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdb2       /boot   ext3    defaults                        0       2

Also, I get

:~$ mplayer dvd://1
Can't open VMG info !

which I understand is due to mplayer looking for  /dev/dvd, but

Tux:~# ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd
ln: `/dev/dvd/hdc': File exists

changes nothing.

Any ideas ?