Re: ext3 and charsets

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 04:51:33PM +0200, J. Preiss wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 6. Juni 2004 21:08 schrieb Adam Aube:
> > J. Preiss wrote:
> > > I just "updated" from Suse 9.1 to debian testing, therefore I'm wondering
> > > how to change the mount charset of ext3 devices. I tried to use the suse
> > > feature "charset=utf8" in fstab, but this seems not to be recognized.
> >
> > According to the man page for mount, that option does not exist.
>
> I didnt find it either :-) The problem is, that on my suse 9.1 installation it
> worked great with this option. Unfortunately I decided to change to debian,
> so I cannot compare...
>

> > > The problem is, that I read about 200 cds with kaudiocreator and sorted
> > > them with juke, among them are about 20 russian cds with cyrillic titles.
> >
> > Are these audio or data CDs? If audio, then ext3 won't be an issue. FWIW,
> > the only filesystem I've seen have problems with UTF-8 is jfs, which has a
> > mount option to enable UTF-8.
>
> The main problem now is that I already read a few audio cds with cyrillic
> names (and umlauts) to my ext3 partition, but the file names are not readable
> anymore. Its clear that I cant play them with juke...

Just a thought...

Is it the iocharset option for the iso9660 filesystem that you need
(when you read the CD's)?

Just to clarify...you have the filenames on an ext3 and the charset has
already been garbled?  Or is it a problem with your locale setting that
won't properly display the characters?

(Still new to all these locale settings, so I apologize if these are
 stupid questions.)

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.