cups thinks it prints, but the printer does not notice

I' running a woody system, with nothing non-woody on it as far as I know.
When I print a file, such as the test page from the CUPS web-administration
interface, it queues it for printing, and after an implausibly short
time it reports it as printed.  But nothing happens on the printer at all.

It's an Epson Stylus 777i, connected via the parallel port.

It works fine under Windows ME.  Except that I have to reboot to
Windows to print anything of course.

-- hendrik